The IT industry is constantly evolving and has seen many new organizational structures and workforces over the years. Instead of the traditional model with a full-time, in-house IT team, many businesses have decided to take advantage of co-managed and managed IT services. Co-managed services provide a range of benefits for companies of all sizes. However, if your business has not worked under this model before, it can be challenging to know how to implement it. This guide will explain what the service includes, what it covers, and how your business can use its benefits to grow and become more efficient.
What Are Co-Managed IT Services?
Co-managed IT services involve a collaborative relationship between an in-house IT team and an expert IT partner. Many businesses choose to limit their internal IT operations to a small team that deals with internal projects. At the same time, they outsource varied and complex IT support to an outside provider. In this way, co-managed services function as a beneficial combination of internal management and external IT support.
When Would You Need Co-Managed IT Services?
The following includes the most common scenarios when you may need the support of a co-managed provider:
- SMBs: Most SMBs would greatly benefit from working with a co-managed service provider. Given the smaller scale of their business, maintaining a full in-house IT team is not financially possible for most. At the same time, situations arise when they need access to an expert on a certain issue. In those instances, co-managed services can be immensely beneficial as they allow SMBs to access a team with the skillset, experience, and specialization they require.
- Growing businesses: Businesses can also benefit from co-managed services when they’re experiencing increased growth. The technology, personnel, or expertise on hand may not be enough to handle the increasing demands. In such a case, businesses can immediately seek help from a co-managed service provider to ease the added burden and support continued growth.
- Businesses with fewer employees and resources: A company can typically survive with a small in-house IT team that is ample enough to meet its daily needs. However, sometimes businesses may require specific technical support or expertise that their internal team cannot provide. This is usually because their IT staff is too small or has a different skill set. A co-managed service provider can offer much-needed additional resources and expertise.
What Services Are Provided?
Co-managed service providers offer various options, from regular IT support and help desk services to complex strategy and risk management services. Co-managed services may include other services such as updating and patching software and program systems, preventative or breakdown maintenance tasks, and procurement responsibilities. Meanwhile, the external provider operates under the client’s direction and strategy. In time, a business can choose which services they require, including managing servers, networking, voice and telecommunications, and network cabling.
What Is the Difference Between Co-Managed and Managed IT Services?
With managed IT services, the responsibility of managing a significant part of the operations falls on the outside service provider. In contrast, with co-managed services, the internal IT team primarily handles management and strategy while receiving support from the provider. Each model has its advantages and drawbacks. Consider your business model and operations carefully when deciding which option suits you best.
What Are the Benefits of Co-Managed IT Services?
- Innovative solutions: A co-managed service provider will have an extensive network that includes experts and specialists, granting you access to all the best and latest solutions your in-house IT team might not be able to provide.
- Diverse experience: A co-managed service provider’s extensive knowledge, expertise, and networks grant you comprehensive support across all aspects and areas of IT, as they can always source personnel with the required skills for any project and advise you on all IT-related subjects. For instance, a co-managed service provider will bring their cybersecurity expertise to help you manage the increasing risks of cyber attacks.
- Flexible support: Co-managed service providers offer services in various styles and configurations, tailored to suit both long and short-term needs. This not only ensures that you only pay for the services you need but also ensures that your provider can easily adapt their offering as your requirements change. Co-managed IT can provide comprehensive solutions such as 24/7 help desk support or 24-hour server monitoring. In turn, this helps you reduce the risk of costly server downtime, which costs more than $300,000 per hour in most instances.
- Easily scalable: Whether due to business growth or another reason, your business sometimes needs additional staff, expertise, technology, and resources. With co-managed services, you don’t need to hire full-time staff or invest large amounts in resources and technology. Rather, you can simply scale down or scale up the support given, depending on your needs.
- Reduced costs: With a co-managed service provider, you only need to spend a fraction of what you’d spend on maintaining a full-time staff with specialized skills and expertise. Co-managed IT reduces staffing, training, and operational costs while giving you access to comprehensive IT services and expertise.
Why Work with Digicorp?
In today’s turbulent economy, businesses are often forced to downsize their workforce, and IT is not excluded. On the opposite side of the spectrum, if a company grows significantly, the current IT staff may not have the capability of meeting all of the demands placed on them.
In these situations, Digicorp can provide the right supplemental IT staff on an hourly, daily, or even weekly basis. Our approach adapts to your organizational needs, and can range from general managed IT services to specific on-demand responses. We’ll take care of your highly complex data center equipment, security infrastructure, and more, while your in-house IT team focuses on the day-to-day operations. We can provide the right staff – experienced, knowledgeable, and easy to work with – at an affordable price. Whatever your staffing needs, we can help.
Need support? Interested in learning more? Fill out the form below and one of our representatives will be in touch with you shortly.